Wonders of Escalante: April 7th - April 11th, 2021
Wednesday, April 7th
- Book a hotel in Hurricane or La Verkin, Utah for the night of April 7th. You do NOT need to rent a car.
- Arrive at St. George Airport (SGU) between 12-9pm. I will be there to pick you up, and bring you to your hotel.
Thursday, April 8th
- We will leave early (time TBD, but no later than 7am) and drive out to Escalante. I will pick you up at your hotel.
- On the way out of Escalante on Hole in the Rock Road (55+ miles of dirt road), we will stop at a couple of scenic slot canyons about 25 miles down the road if we have time. We will shoot here in the afternoon, make some lunch, and continue on.
- By sunset, we will reach the 40 mile wash. We will travel this road for a couple miles, turn off, and pull in to a trailhead. We'll shoot a cool arch for sunset, and sleep in this parking lot (unless we find a better camp spot). Plenty of room to pitch tents around here, and it isn't busy at all. Very remote. We will shoot Milky Way this night, weather permitting.
Friday, April 9th
- We will head to Dance Hall Rock for sunrise. After sunrise, we will load our bags and begin the 12 mile trip to Reflection Canyon. We will camp here for the night.
Saturday, April 10th
- We will be up early to shoot the Milky Way pano above Reflection Canyon, and then after sunrise, we will hike back.
- After we hike out, we will begin the drive back. If time permits, we could hit a slot canyon on the way out.
- We will camp somewhere along Hole in the Rock road a few miles out of Escalante.
Sunday, April 11th
- We will shoot sunrise somewhere near where we camp. Then, we'll drive back to St. George.
- Please book a flight out of St. George on Sunday evening. 5pm or later would be great. If you'd rather fly back on Monday morning, book a hotel for this night in Hurricane or La Verkin, and I will get you to the airport on Monday before your flight.
We won't have time to do any processing during the workshop, but we will talk about a time later in April that we can all hop on Zoom for a couple of days to work through images.